Sunny Side Up

Dude, seriously, geek.

Coffee vs Chocolates

For some reason, my stomach has been taking offense at my coffee drinking habit since at least as far as 15 months ago. It may have been longer cuz I only noticed it last year. I thought it was the milk in Indonesia at first but when I got back to Melbourne, the same thing happened everytime after I had a cup of coffee. So since then, I haven't had any coffee and was forced to change my drinking habit. Y'know, come to think of it most of the time, maybe about 95% of the time, that I went to Starbucks in the last three years I've always ordered frappuccino.

Not long after I got back to Melbourne a few months ago, I was taken to this new... well, not really new but relatively new place called QV. It's still under construction in some areas but largely operational. You could say it already had its soft opening earlier this year. It's not a mall but I suppose you can call it a shopping center, aimed at and designed for young people with its hip and trendy cafes, flashy clothing outlets, a gym, and a very open and large food court down in the basement. There's an electronics & furniture store upstairs but there's plenty of that in the city already, I don't see the point of having another one.

What I'm getting at is this. There's this cafe that focuses on everything chocolate, called Max Brenner Chocolate Bar. It's not a bar but if you open a chocolate oriented cafe, how could you not call it Chocolate Bar??!! It's too good a pun to miss :D hot chocolate drinks, chocolate candybars, cookies, sauce, cakes, you name it. The designer's chocolates are expensive as hell ($2.00-$4.00 for a piece the size of a pencil eraser, compared to $1.50 for a pack of Cadbury's various chocolate bars) but people mostly come for the drinks and desserts, which if you really work on your budget, is not exactly wallet friendly but still tolerable enough and perfect for my new cafe hang out. The place is hellishly small and cramped but if you're a positive reviewer, you'd call it warm, cozy, and intimate, LOL :D :D On peak hours, you'll be lucky to find an empty seat and the line goes about 4-5 meters long, which means it spills over to the outside. Not a place to be comfortable like your typical Excelso, Dome, Coffee Bean, etc but the drinks are just heavenly. They got cups and mugs so unique that the waitresses always ask if you know how to drink from them when they bring them to you.

One drink stood out from the rest. They call it Suckao and if you're an Indonesian, you'll find it a bit more than amusing. The mug, or should I say cup, that it comes with, resembles a bong and undoubtedly takes the amusement value even further. It's make-your-own hot cocoa. They give you a small cup of milk (free refills) and a serving of chocolate chips with a special metal cup to mix it in. The metal cup is housed in a porcelain container with a tea light candle at the bottom to heat the cup. You drink it from a metal straw that doubles as a stirrer.

If this was Jakarta, you'll see copycat chocolate cafes in a matter of months!


*Sakaw is an indonesian slang meaning withdrawal symptoms.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 3:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food court in the basement? @_@ I thought there're Safeway and Big W in the basement. ^^;;

I like Suckao better than the Hug Mug drinks but some of the mug drinks are different e.g. orchid flavour hot coco drink. ^^;;    



On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 3:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add in my previous comment. I think you've been having your caffeinne intolerant problem for more than 15 months. If I wasn't wrong it all began in *$.
--
=^^=    



On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:57:00 PM, Blogger Aulia said...

Yeah, Safeway & Big W in the basement. I should've said lower ground cuz you gotta go down the stairs to get there from one side but it's on ground level on another.    



On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 11:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

max brenner, here i come!!!!!! woooooooohooo!! seeya next year!! :D:D:D

g-    



On Monday, August 30, 2004 2:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

suckao? hahahaha. what a name. sori, gw baca post lo loncat2, apa yg punya orang Indo juga?.

--dee--    



» Post a Comment