Sunny Side Up

Dude, seriously, geek.

Live band

I haven't gone to a live band performance in such a long time I don't think I remember the last one I saw before last night. It was probably Chump, a Melbourne band that was invited to a Melbourne Storm game about 4 years ago.

Anyway, a few days ago Joe invited me to last night's soft launch of Oracle's second album, a band formed in Sydney in around 2000 made up of Indonesian students. The band recently reformed and is looking to gain a foothold in the local scene. Just so happens that the Emil, the vocalist, is our cousin. I didn't even know what sort of place Joe was taking me to, he only said it's where indie bands usually launch albums, perform, jam, and generally hang out and I didn't know what sort of music Oracle play so I had no idea what sort of evening I was getting myself into. We picked up Alfa at her apartment before heading to the joint.

The place is right next to what used to be one of Jakarta's most notorious high schools (mass fighting was the norm) in what used to be the most popular neighborhood in the 80's. It's a secluded place, rather damp, with a U-shaped seating area facing the stage. There's a short wooden bridge about ten foot long over a small pond surrounded by plants connecting the stage to the audience. There's minimal lighting but makes for a real cosy atmosphere plus, being an open air joint, it adds character.

I've only heard one song by Oracle which was ages ago and the recording wasn't exactly what you'd call CD quality. This time, I got to experience the entire act as well as an opening act by a Japanese goth/metal oriented band called Skyz or something, I kinda forgot their name and you know what, I'm slightly surprised I could connect with their music, both bands but mostly Oracle because their drummer and lead guitar just blew me away. Skyz is like a Japanese P.O.D while Oracle is part goth, part industrial, part heavy metal, all dark.

All in all, GoodTimes™. I'd like to check out the place again some time, I hate myself for leaving my camera at home I normally take it with me in the car.

PS. I didn't lose a single game of Uno the entire time (about 2 hours) we played after the show. Take that. ;)
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't lose a single game of Uno the entire time (about 2 hours) we played after the show.

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy.... we were being nice!!! :P    



» Post a Comment