Sunny Side Up

Dude, seriously, geek.

Sekai wa nante suteki

I got myself a SonyEricsson K600i last Sunday. Joy. Finally. ^_^. Cost me Rp. 1.9m, which is under US$220, outright, not that you can even buy a GSM phone with a contract here. It's definitely worth my wait.

This phone is a joy to use with my only real gripe being the lack of multiple character search in the contacts list. Supposedly the European firmware of the phone's OS has this ability but for some reason they omitted it in the Asia Pacific version. Weird.

Anyway, this one issue was tempered by the fact that this phone is practically a remote control for my iBook. I can use it to control presentations and to use as a 2 button mouse replacement (with limited movements to just horizontal and vertical, not a combination). If you're on Mac OS X Panther or Tiger, you can use the phone to activate the three Exposé modes and to bring up Dashboard. It's just awesome. It eliminates the basic need for Salling Clicker, a 3rd party utility that lets you use your bluetooth enabled phone as a remote control.

Someone told me that it feels like an iPod mini and I see no reason to disagree. They both have the same metallic look on a plastic case, weighs about the same although the phone is slightly longer and thinner. It also has a smaller but sharper and more colorful screen (obviously). There's really no point in discussing song capacity except to say that both the phone and the iPod support mp3 & aac (m4a).

The camera shots look nice even without auto focus (Not a fan of those on proper cameras) and predictably awful for low light conditions even with the built in light turned on.

Coming from using a T610, this phone is a major upgrade even without the memory stick and walkman features. Some people would rather carry one gadget that does all but I don't mind carrying a few items that do what they're meant to do very well. I got my iPod for music, my PowerShot A520 for photos, my NDS for gaming and the K600i for communications. Sure the phone has all those bases covered but they're nothing more than simplistic and only for convenience, not for serious alternatives.

Doesn't matter if the phone has a 5 Megapixel CCD, if I can't adjust its aperture, shutter speed and focal length, it's pointless.

The 3G feature might come in handy when the technology finally gets here but people keep telling me to wait for EV-DO.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nandemo dekiru yo ne
imeeji fukuramase
hirogaru subete ga

yo no naka tte chiisai ne
imajineeshon fukaketsu
chotto kangaete mitara
kokoro no tsubasa habataku

sekaijuu de oshare o shite odekake shitari
hashagi sugite koronjyattari ne
yume no nake de tanken shitai

me wo agete kyorokyoro kitto mitsukaru Happiness
anata dakeno...

sekai wa nante suteki
nandemo dekiru yo ne

~_^

--
WV made me loled: zebvu
Maju!!! Zebvuuuu!! XDDD    



On Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:14:00 AM, Blogger Suds said...

The phone DOES look like a mini! Ahhh, those minis were a great little innovation - RIP the mini :(

I'm not sure I agree with 3G phones, the whole point of a phone is to make calls, all that other stuff (internet, email, typing etc...) gets annoying when the keypad/screen is so small.

I reckon a decent tablet/PDA + phone is the way to go.    



On Saturday, April 01, 2006 3:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep nice 3G phone ! I'm still waiting for K610 though, needs the 2 MP for emergency on the road..y'know    



» Post a Comment