Sunny Side Up

Dude, seriously, geek.

Time Machine

So last night I had the opportunity to do a full restore of my system from Time Machine because I had to wipe out my HD in the morning. I set Leopard to custom install so it would only take up 7 GB instead of the 12 GB from a default install set up. 20 minutes later, my MacBook was ready to go. Yep, it took only 20 minutes to install on my MacBook 2GHz Core Duo with 1GB RAM.

My Time Machine drive is a 500 GB WD MyBook Pro connected through Firewire which I've been using since December 12 '07 so it already has quite a library of backups. I had 225 GB left because apart from the Time Machine backups I also use it to backup other data.

After the MacBook restarted, it went through the fancy spacey intro video before asking me to enter my personal details, after which it asked me if I want to transfer my information from another Mac. I chose to transfer data from my Time Machine backup which meant having to transfer 30+ GB. Being fully prepared to wait until the next morning, it was a nice surprise to find that it was done in a little under 1 hour. Naturally I set it to transfer absolutely everything so I don't have to go through the hassle of reentering my network settings, creating accounts, installing and updating apps, etc.

So now, with everything all back to proper working condition, I plugged in my modem to grab all the emails I missed during the day. Right after activating Mail, it asked if I wanted to import all my emails, which of course I did. Apparently Time Machine doesn't completely restore your system. Particularly emails. It needed to recreate all my accounts and settings although thankfully I didn't have to do that manually and the emails and accounts were restored from Time Machine's database instead of having to redownload everything.

While waiting for Mail to sort itself out, I reached for the modem icon on the menu bar ... only to find that my internet settings are missing. ALL of them. Somehow the Time Machine failed to restore my internet settings through IM2 and indosatgprs, my .Mac sync settings. What's weird is that my AirPort passwords work fine. I can still connect to hotspots that I logged on to previously.

Yes, I told Migration Assistant to restore them. So now I have to resort to internet sharing through adhoc AirPort network.

Another weird thing is that Time Machine refused to continue the incremental backups I've had since the beginning, instead it began a complete backup as if it was never ran. So in addition to the very first full backup, I now have two full backups. This means it took up an additional 30+ GB instead of just adding the difference.

I followed the instructions on this thread at Apple's Discussion forums but it didn't help my case, largely because I found out about it only after it had done the full backup after the restore. I need to find a way to recover that extra 30 GB.

Labels: , , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment